Thursday 5 January 2012

Jip and Janneke

Jip and Janneke (Dutch: Jip en Janneke) is probably the most famous children´s series book in the Netherlands. The series is written by Annie M. G. Schmidt and tells about friendship between Jip (little boy) and Janneke (little girl) who live next to each other. What i love the most about this book is the drawings which were made by Dutch illustrator Fiep Westendorp. The character of Jip and Janneke were drawn as black silhouette. 



This book has been translated into many different languages, including Indonesian language (called Tono dan Tini). I have a copy in English but sadly i do not have a copy in Indonesian as they do not print it anymore.

Anyway, on the way home after celebrating Christmas and New year in England, we stopped at Angel´s home in the Netherlands for refreshments. To my surprise she gave me the Jip and Janneke book in Dutch as a christmas present!! I was extremely HAPPY ^_^. I cant thank her enough, she really made my day. Thanks very much Angel & hubby.

Left: Dutch version
Right: English version